Heavy Crane

Status Inquiries

On November 7, 2020, we'll be migrating to our new permitting platform Accela. In order to achieve a smooth transition, our teams will be taking part in extensive training in the new system throughout the remainder of September and October.

During this time, we'll still be processing permits, but we'll be operating at reduced capacity. Since our primary concern is processing permits in a timely fashion, we will be unable to respond to status inquiries during this time if the application is within the published issuance timeframe posted on our permit webpages. We appreciate your patience during this transition.  

How to Estimate Permit Timelines for Street Use Permits

You can find more information on the following topics in the Understanding the Street Use Permit Process, Record Status, Target Dates, and Permit Timelines help article.

  1. What are the Street Use permit process steps?
  2. What happens at each permit step and how does it get assigned?
  3. How do I check and understand the status of the SDOT Street Use record?
  4. What does Targeted For date mean and how is it determined?
  5. How long does the overall permit process take?

As of May 10, 2021, review times are currently:

For All Permit Types

  • Application timeline: 3 business days

ROWM Permit Timelines (including application time)

  • Initial Full review: 8-9 weeks
  • Single review: 3-4 weeks
  • Extensions: 5-10 business days

Street Improvement Permit Timelines (including application time)

  • Initial Full review: 7-9 weeks
  • Corrections review: approx. 6 weeks

Utility Major Permit Timelines (including application time)

  • Initial Full review: 8-10 weeks
  • Corrections review: 6-8 weeks

PSM Permit Timelines (including application time)

  • Initial Full review: 10-12 weeks
  • Simple review: 5-8 weeks

These are average timelines. Owing to an increase in permit applications combined with reduced capacity, our timelines are higher than normal. We are working diligently to reduce these timelines in advance of our transition to Accela in November. 

 NOTE: If a ROW Management Design Guidance meeting is required or correction cycles are necessary, additional time will be added to the timelines above.

I want to learn more about...

Step 1: Confirming that a Heavy Crane Permit is Required for My Project

Step 2: Preparing Submittal Documents for My Permit

Step 3: Applying for My Permit

Step 4: Issuing My Permit

Step 5: Scheduling a Job Start Notification

Step 6: Applying for an Amendment to Modify/Extend My Permit

BACKGROUND: Seattle Municipal Code (SMC 15.04.010 - permit required) requires a Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) permit for all utility work in the public right of way (ROW). The permittee, or a designated authorized agent, is responsible for obtaining a permit before any construction related activity.

Step 1 - Confirming that a Heavy Crane permit (SUCRANE) is Required for My Project

  • Heavy Crane permits are used for the staging only of heavy cranes in public right-of-way with a tonnage rating of more than 100 tons.
  • Heavy Crane permits are required for the installation and removal only of temporary cranes
  • The crane company must apply for the Heavy Crane permit
  • Heavy Crane permits require valid insurance from the crane company per requirements

If you are unsure that your proposed project qualifies for a Heavy Crane permit, you can call (206) 684-7623 or send an email to 684-Road@seattle.gov for assistance.

*These are general guidelines, and we may require additional information or permit type at our discretion.

Back to top of page

Step 2 - Preparing Submittal Documents for My Permit

The Heavy Crane (SUCRANE) permit requires the following documents to submit for your permit.

  • Right of Way Impact Plan (ROWIP). The ROWIP will need to include all impacts to the right of way. This would typically include staging, equipment, and any other impacts to the right of way. More information on what is required for the ROWIP is found in Client Assistance Memo CAM 2116
  • Traffic Control Plan (TCP). A TCP is required if your project requires any mobility impacts in the right of way. TCP requirements and additional information can be found in Client Assistance Memo CAM 2111
  • Technical drawings may be required. Technical drawings show the type, placement, and details of installations in or adjacent to the right-of-way that are necessary details to supplement the ROWIP and/or site plan. We use the technical plan to understand the details of the construction activity, the size and impact of proposed installations, and how installations are constructed. More information on what is required for the ROWIP is found in Client Assistance Memo CAM 2116

Back to top of page

Step 3 - Applying for My Permit

Go to the Seattle Services Accela Permitting Portal

Under "Create New" click Permits-Street Use

If this is your first time applying for a permit online, click on the "New Users: register for an Account" located at the bottom of the page.

Once you are registered, you can log on and apply by selecting "Heavy Crane " under the record type.

Follow the step by step instructions to complete the application process.

Back to top of page

Step 4 - Issuing My Permit

Once we approve your permit, you'll receive an email indicating that your permit is ready to issue upon payment.

Once you receive that email, you can pay for your permit online through the Seattle Services Portal and print your permit! We've created a page where you can review our current fee schedule and estimate your permit fees. Consult with Street Use permit staff to determine the exact fees if you have questions.

Back to top of page

Step 5: Scheduling a Job Start Notification

Prior to starting your project, you will need to notify us of when your project will begin by scheduling a job start notification. Review your approved plans and carefully read all the conditions of your permit and then schedule the job start.

To schedule a job start notification, follow the instructions found in this Help article.

For more information on inspections, visit our Inspections page.

If you need to reserve a non-paid parking space, follow the instructions on our Temporary No Parking Permits page.

Back to top of page

Step 6: Applying for an Amendment to Modify/Extend My Permit

Once your permit has been issued, if you need to make changes such as changing the permitted dates, modifying your scope of work, or extend your uses, there are four different types of amendments to choose from. Log on to your Seattle Services Portal account and from your dashboard pick the permit you would like to modify and submit the required information.

Here are some amendment types:

Date Change Amendment - This amendment type is for when your project start date may have been delayed and you want to request a change prior to your permitted use date. This does not change the duration of the use but would be used when you need to change the actual start date before work has begun.

Extension Amendment - This amendment type is for when your project will take longer than you anticipated and you need to extend a use (one or more) on your permit. This is used only when you need additional time to complete your project; no other changes can be made under this amendment.

Revision Amendment - This amendment allows you to make changes to the scope of work, add or remove use areas, revise contact information or request a cancellation of your permit. You may combine an extension with this amendment type if necessary.

Withdrawal Amendment - Did you apply for a permit only to realize that you had made a mistake and didn't actually want it? If so, you may withdraw your application in the Accela portal as long as we have not begun processing your application.

Back to top of page